Lisbon Calling...

quarta-feira, abril 18, 2007

Lisbon calling Skopje and Valleta

Country: F.Y. R. Macedonia
Performer: Karolina
Song: Mojo svet
Music by: Grigor Koprov
Lyrics by: Ognen Nedelkovski
Review: Is always a pleasure for the fans watching a former Eurovision participant return to the contest, specially one that was well appreciated like Karolina in her first attempt with the song Od nas zavisi in 2002.
Of course that it also helps when the returning artists is back in the contest with an amazing song like Mojo svet.
This song is a happy mixture of pop-rock with some more traditional balcan rythems. It has a very strong and catchy chorus and of course it can also count with Karolina's strong vocal habilities and stage presence.
Macedonia has always reached the final since the current sistem was introduced and I think this year will be no exception, Karolina's challenge will be to improve the result Elena Risteka got last year and manage a place above 12th in the final.
***
Country: Malta
Performer: Olivia Lewis
Song: Vertigo
Music by: Philip Vella
Lyrics by: Gerard James Borg
Review: Olivia Lewis is already an Eurovision veteran, even if this is only the first time she will be in the ESC stage. She has tried to reach the contest more times them any other artist and will finally have her chance in Helsinki.
Malta is one of the countries that really really loves the Eurovision Song Contest and always gives it their best. This year they once again be represented with a very strong entry.
Vertigo is not an easy song, it mixes flamenco with arabic sounds in a style that we could call "Mediteranic". It's very different from what Malta has sended so far and can sound bit strange at first but it's certainly a very special song.
Olivia has a very nice voice and stage presence and after their bad result last year, in part due to a weak stage performance, I think this year it will all be near perfection.
It wont be easy for them to reach the final but I think that they will pull it of in the end. Olivia really deserves that chance for all her previous efforts.

5 Comentários:

  • I've just discovered your excellent site...and it's going straight to the top of my ecs links! I'm enjoying reading through your reviews.

    I'll be in lisboa for esc this year. Can you tell me if I'll be able to see the semi-final? I'm getting worried! Also, do you know of anywhere that will be showing the two programmes?

    Cheers, Marc

    Por Anonymous Anónimo, Às 02:06  

  • Hello Marc, I'm glad you enjoyed reading my reviews, you are more them wellcome to comment on them.
    If you are in Portugal for during the next ESC you will be able to watch the semi-final and final in RTP televion. Both shows will be broadcasted live.
    Hope to see you again around here,
    Francisco

    Por Blogger Francisco C., Às 14:31  

  • Thanks Francisco, I'm glad I'll be able to catch both shows...Is there any place where people go to watch it like a bar or club?

    Por Anonymous Anónimo, Às 14:56  

  • Hello Marc. I'm sorry but I dont know any public bar or club where the ESC will be showned live here in Lisbon...
    The Eurovision Song Contest is not that big in Portugal anymore.

    Por Blogger Francisco C., Às 23:01  

  • Oh well, I'll have to watch it on TV at my apartment. Thanks very much for you reply ;-)

    Por Anonymous Anónimo, Às 16:18  

Enviar um comentário



<< Página inicial