Lisbon Calling...

quinta-feira, maio 04, 2006

The Netherlands: Amambanda

After a disappointing result last year with Glennis Grace and the song My impossible dream, the Netherlands are going to Athens 2006 with the group Treble and a song they composed themselves called Amambanda.
The Netherlands won the contest in 4 occasions: in 1957, 1959, 1969 (with the beautiful De Troubadour) and the last time in 1975. In more recent years they best result is a 4th place in 1998 with Edsilia and Hemel en aarda, almost 10 years ago.
I have mixed feelings about this Amambanda. I like it, its fresh, it has rhythm and a nice Spanish feeling. But on the other hand, this song is not from Spain, the maginary language gets a bit repetitive and boring and the girls, sitting on their little drums, look a bit silly singing it. Very hippie and I'm a son of the 80's.
On the semi-final I fear that it can also be completely overshadowed by the Lordi monster act and the LTUnited gentlemens. Therefore I don’t predict it to be in the final, moreover I don’t want it to be, there are better, more trashy songs them this that should qualify.
Points for the song: 6 (in 1 to 8, 10 and 12)
And for the video: 1 (in 1 to 5)

Belgium calling… The start of the song is quite promising, but after 1 minute i've had it.
Nothing more than jungle sound and childlanguage. They try to save the song using the drums, but it's just not working
The last 30 seconds I think, oh dear when is this song gonna end!
I give it 8 points in 20.
.
Welcoming Amambanda is the group Urban Trad and his imaginary language song Sanomi. I have heard that Treble used the imaginary language long before Urban trad but in the ESC they came first.