Lisbon Calling...

terça-feira, maio 02, 2006

Malta: I do

Malta is another successful country in the Eurovision Song Contest. They have participated 18 times, having reached the top 10 in twelve different occasions.
They were close to winning the contest in 1992 with Mary Spiteri and the song Little child (3rd place); in 1998 with Chiara and The one that I love (another 3rd place); in 2002 with Ira Losco’s Seventh Wonder (2nd place) and again last year with Chiara and the song Angle (2nd position).
Their national finals usually last for hours and hours and some artists compete in them every single year, Olivia Lewis, the eternal 2nd place has competed more them 10 times. This clearly shows the importance of the contest in that country, which is also one of the most visited by ESC artists on their promotion tours. I’m shure that the year Malta hosts the Eurovision it will be a very big party.
This year, they will be represented by Fabrizio Fanniello, one of Malta most famous singers and that had previously sang for them in 2001. The song is called I do and was written and composed by Fabrizio himself and Aldo Spiteri.
The song is a very catchy tune, very Eurovision, with a touch of Abba and a bit of disco beat. And I do, I do, I do, I do love it.
Because of Chiara’s good result last year they are already in the final and I think that they everything to get another top 10 result this year. I would even dare say that this might be a dark horse and possible winner of ESC 2006.
Points for the song: 12 (in 1 to 8, 10 and 12)
And for the video: 3- (in 1 to 5)

Belgium calling… Give me your love, Sweden 2003, oh no it’s Malta.
They tried to modernise the song a bit adding some piano, but the result is not very fabulous.
Not a very original song, like 13 in a dozen.
I give it 12 points in 20.

Welcoming this song is the 1968 winner Massiel with her song La, la, la.