Lisbon Calling...

terça-feira, abril 25, 2006

Greece: Everything

Although no always with the best results, Greece has been one of the leading contributors of original songs to the Eurovision. Since their first ever entry in 1974 with Krasi, thalasa ke t’agori mu, almost all theirs song were marked by a strong ethnic touch, not always appreciated by the juries and by the fans that today worship Greek entries, even if they are only average songs.
This year they choose one of the countries biggest stars, Anna Vissi to represent them in home ground. She took part in the ESC before. In 1980 she represented Greece, with the innocent Autostop, and 2 year later she sang the romantic Mono i agapi, representing Cyprus.
I expected a spectacular song from her this year, being the big star she is and singing in her own country, what is always an extra honour, but when I heard the song I didn’t really like any of them. Finally the ballad Everything won, a song written by Anna herself and by Nikos Karvelas.
What some say about the Swedish song I say about this one: What with all the fuss???
Its just a normal ballad, with a catchy chorus but also a bit old fashioned. If this were from any other country and from another singer I don’t think that it would be a favourite of so many people.
It can even win in Athens but it will never be a great song. At least not for me off course.
I expected much more from Anna Vissi, specialy when the other songs were not so good. It would be fun to see Greece win again this year, but now I hope they don’t win with this ordinary song.
Points for the song: 7 (in 1 to 8, 10 and 12)
And for the video: 2 (in 1 to 5)

Belgium calling… Very dramatic ballad, will probably get a lot of points being the organizing country.
Surely one of the best ballads this year.
I can listen to it, but I don't go completely wild over it
I give it 14 points in 20 possible.
.
Welcoming this song in the Eurovision is Rita Guerra, with Deixa-me sonhar (só mais uma vez).