Lisbon Calling...

terça-feira, abril 18, 2006

Cyprus: Why do the angels cry?

Last year Cypriot entry was a classic example of a good ESC song being totally overshadowed by a very ambitious, but rather silly, choreography.
This year they are back in the semi and in the ballad world with the song Why do the angels cry?, performed by greek-american singer Annete Artani. Petros Giannaki made the lyrics and composed the music.
I first listened to this song in a live version from the semi-final from the Cypriot national contest and it seemed pretty clear to me the reason why the angels were crying: they heard Annete singing, or should I say scream, her way to the final with a ballad that tried to be so many things that it was nothing really.
For some weeks this was on the last place of my personal chart. Them I listened to a studio version and actually started to like it a bit more. I mean Annete has an irritating voice but I love ballads and the Disney beginning of Why do the angels cry? is pretty nice.
Still this is not enough to consider this a good song. In some forums fans say Annete is a terrific performer and as an incredible voice. From what I have seen and heard she is an average performer and an average to bad voice. But I give them the benefit of the doubt and believe they know her career better them I do.
I don’t know if they will reach the final or not but I hope not. There are far better ballads in the semi them this one.
Points for the song: 3 (form 1-8, 10 and 12)
And for the video: 2 (from 1 to 5)

Belgium calling… This is such an awful, boring and old-fashioned song!
I don't like her voice at all.
After 1m30 nothing has happened in this song and then suddenly there is an incomprehensible change in the rhythm, like another song is starting. And then someone starts killing the cat.
I give it 4 points in 20 possible.

Welcoming this song in the competition is Lisa Andreas with her song Stronger every minute, that I guess was one of Petros sources of inspiration for this thingie.