Lisbon Calling...

segunda-feira, abril 17, 2006

Croatia: Moja Štikla

Croatia is one of my favourite countries in the Eurovision. In fact I think that most of their 14 entries so far would have been worthy winners and I anger the day that they will indeed triumph in the contest.
This year, Croatia will be represented by the multitalented Severina, with Moja Štikla (My stilettos).
This shoe song was composed by last year Croatian representative Boris Novcović in cooperation with Franjo Valentić. The very original lyrics, with the unforgettable sentence Africa, paprika, were written by Severina herself.
If the lyrics are a real ESC poetry pearl, the music is beyond original. Moja Štikla is indeed an ethnic song but maybe the best way to describe is to say that it is total madness.
Maybe Jelena with Ne zovi me Marija would have been safer choice, but Moja Štikla is totally unorthodox and because of that I love it.
In the national final, and I imagine also in Athens, Severina will be joined on stage by a group of men, in traditional clothes, that sing along with her and play traditional instruments.
Since Serbia & Montenegro withdraw Croatia passed directly to the final but I think that even if that didn’t happened they would still qualify.
It’s a shame they didn’t make a video this time, they usually make very good ones and I would love to see how they would shot this one.
Overall a very nice singer and original song so maybe it will be Croatia best result so far. In the other hand it may sound just a bit too strange to the European audience and score only among neighbours.
Points for the song: 10 (form 1-8, 10 and 12)
And for the video: 1 (from 1 to 5)

Belgium calling… At first I wasn't very keen on this song, but the ESC version has improved a lot.
This song has a funny rhythm and attracts the attention all the way.
Shame about the long instrumental interlude, but the chorus is very funny and cheerful
It might be a surprise in Athens.
I also like the combination of the different voices
I give it 15 points out of 20.


Welcoming this song in the Eurovision are the golden boots boys Herrey’s with their shoe song Diggi-loo diggi-ley.