Lisbon Calling...

domingo, abril 16, 2006

Bulgaria: Let me cry

Bulgaria started their participation in the Eurovision last year within the best European tradition: with a scandal!!!
This year things were a bit quieter and they ended up choosing the beautiful Mariana Popova with the ballad Let me cry, composed by Dani Milev and lyrics by Elina Gavrilova.
Mariana will be the second to sing in the semi-final. As statistics say nobody has ever won the Eurovision singing in second place and in the two previous semi-final both Belarus and Lithuania, who also sang second, remained in the semi. However Bulgaria will sing after Armenia and before Slovenia, two up-tempo songs. This can be a good thing and help this drama ballad to stand out. However there will are still many more songs to come and without a powerful performance Let me cry is quickly forgotten. And I dont think putting a drag queen on stage will help them mutch.
It would not shock me if this song reached the final. I like this kind of ballad. Mariana has a nice voice but the song seems to lack something to make it more consistent and give it that extra appeal.
The video is very nice and fits the song. It was shot in an original sepia colour and explores Mariana dramatic skills. Beside the singer it also stars Mr. Bulgaria 2005, Rumen Georgiev, and two gymnasts, Joanna and Iliana.
Points for the song: 8 (form 1-8, 10 and 12)
And for the video: 4 (from 1 to 5)

Belgium calling… Let me cry is an average song. I don't like Mariana’s voice, its too screamy, especially in the chorus
Stupid brigde in the song with moaning sounds, continued by a male singer who gets going like someone is torturing him
Mariana joins him near the end to try and save the song, but I'm afraid it is too late by then.
I give it 10 points out of 20.


Welcoming this song in the competition is Danijela with her power ballad Neka mi ne svane.