Lisbon Calling...

quinta-feira, abril 13, 2006

Belarus: Mum

I must admit that I have some sort of fetish about the songs from Belarus. I loved My Galileo, I adored Love me Tonight. Angelica Argubash was an absolute diva.
This year Belarus is sending Polina Smolova with the song Mum, composed by Sergey Sukhomlin and lyrics by Andrey Kostiugov.
Polina is an experienced singer. She took part in the two previous national finals and participated in many contests in her native country as in Russia.
When I first listened to the 3 finalist songs from Belarus I didn’t like any of them. Some weeks later they announced that Polina was the winner and I watched the video of her performance in the national final. At this point I began to like the song.
Her live performance was indeed very lifely, a mix between Madonna and Britney Spears, with a touch of 80’s music.
Off course I’m not saying this is a good song, but I don’t think that is also that bad. Ok, I agree that Polina’s sounds more like she is singing in Russian them English, but still it has some charm.
If the Eurovision this last few years was all about the stage performance them this will have a good result. Her performance in the video is excellent, the choreography fits the song very well. Its modern and kinda sexy.
I don’t think this song is any worse them that thingie Tatu sang, and they got 3rd place.
Realistically I know that this is still not the year for Belarus.
Points for the song: 6 (from 1-8, 10 and 12)
Points for the video: 4 (from 1 to 5)

Belgium calling… Mum is just a wannabe rocksong. And a very repetitive one.
The guitar sound is inspired by Moldova from last year and that instrumental part after the first chorus is really terrible.
Even the mama mama mama = bonika bate doba.
Terrible song.
7/20

Welcoming this song to the contest is Jean-Jacques with his song Maman, maman.