Lisbon Calling...

sexta-feira, abril 21, 2006

Finland: Hard rock hallelujah

Finland first took part in the Eurovision Song Contest in 1961 and since that distant year they have sent just about every time of music we can imagine, never with much success. In fact from their 39 entries so far only 11 made it to the top 10. Their best result, 6th place, came in 1973 with the cheerful song Tom tom tom by Marian Rung. A 7th place in 1989 with the song La Dolce Vita sang by Anneli Saaristo was Finland last top 10 finish.
This year they had a great national final and deserve my admiration for choosing the rock monster band Lordi with Hard rock hallelujah. The song was written and composed by the band’s lead singer, Mr. Lordi. It’s a bit crazy I know, but it was the best choice they could do.
Hard rock hallelujah and Lordi’s performance wont leave anyone indifferent. It’s a Eurovision classic already. When I listened to it the first time I only hear about 30 sec’s and stopped the player. Them I heard it again and begin to like it very much. Its rock indeed, but its not that “rock”. The chorus is actually very eurovisionesque.
I don’t see any reason why this can’t do well in Athens and I think that this is what the ESC needs, new and different types of music.
Once again I think that we all need to leave our prejudices behind and let innovation flow. I mean how many ballads, ABBA songs or ethnic songs have we had already…
I must say that I would be very happy if Finland finally won the Eurovision, specially with this song and I don’t think that we would have only monster rock songs next year.
For me this is a classic and a top song off my all time favourites, no matter what the result will be in Athens.
Points for the song: 12+ (from 1-8, 10 and 12)
And for the video: 5++ (from 1 to 5)

Belgium calling… Do I really have to listen to it?
I think it is very stupid to try and copy Norway from last year. At least Norway still had a melody!!!
This is only screaming
A song where I push the ffwd button on the cd-player.
I can't stand it
I give it 3 points in 20 and that is very generous.

Welcoming thins song in the competition is … hum I don’t know, there has never been like this before! Maybe Marian Rung will welcome Lordi and pass them the honour of being Finland’s best result ever.