Lisbon Calling...

quinta-feira, abril 20, 2006

Estonia: Through my window

Estonia was among the group of countries that tried to take part in the ESC in 1993. They didn’t manage to qualify, so their official debut happened a year later with Silvi Vrait and the song Nagu Merelaine, which I absolutely love, but that ended second last.
After this not so successful start Estonia has achieved impressive results. From their 11 participations so far 4 were in the top 5 (including the 2001 winner), plus 2 in the top 10. However since the introduction of the semi-final they still didn’t manage to get a place in the final.
This year they seem to be back at their best, with Swedish singer Sandra Oxenryd and the Does your mother know? inspired (to say the least) Through my window. The composers of this song were Pearu Paulus, Ilmar Laisarr and Alar Kotkas. They lyrics were written by Jana Hallas.
Sandra’s victory was somewhat a surprise, since in the Estonian national final there was another heavy favourite Ines (Estonia 2000), with the very modern Iseendale. It would have been a much less safer choice but they would be sending a far better song.
This doesn’t mean I don’t like Through my window. I mean I like almost all ABBA songs/ ABBA copy’s. Sandra is a very good singer and judging by the video, the performance on stage will be very good also.
The weaker point of the song is its originality, or lack of it. And to complicate things even more Sandra will sing right after Carola in the semi. It will be like Sweden is sending two songs instead of one.
In the end I think that Estonia will qualify, in part because of its own merits and partly because there aren’t that many good songs in the semi this year.
Points for the song: 12 (from 1-8, 10 and 12)
And for the video: 4 (from 1 to 5)

Belgium calling… At first I was very much surprised with the intro of the song, completely copied from Abba.
Since it was one of the first songs that was selected I didn't think very highly of it. But now that we know all 37, I must admit it is one the best melodies with a very powerful voice.
This is a song to sing along with, a happy tune.
It may not be a very original song, but is surely a nice one to listen to.
I'm very curious to hear and see the live version
I give it 16 points in 20.

Welcoming, or maybe not, this song in the contest is Ines and her song Once in a lifetime.