Lisbon Calling...

quarta-feira, abril 19, 2006

Denmark: Twist of Love.

The Danish people seem to be very keen on 50’s and 60’s American music. In 2001, they were represented by Rollo & King with a “country music” song, last year they had a swing and this year a twist.
Sidsel Ben Semmane (doesn’t this name sounds rather Arabic?) will sing Twist of Love, with music and lyrics by Niels Drevsholt. She is already qualified to the final thanks to Jakob Sveistrup energetic performance last year in Kiev. He really made the European audience swing.
I watched the Danish national final and to be honest I didn’t love any of the songs, but them again I never do like any of the songs from the Danish national finals.
In the 80’s and early 90’s they were probably the champs of Eurovisionesque songs: Hot Eyes, Brithe Kjaer, Lonnie Devantier and Lotte Nilsson & Kenny Lubcke. All this songs gave them lots of points and pretty good places, I like them too, but for some reason I don’t see Denmark as one of my favourite Eurovision countries.
Twist of Love is a nice song, Sidsel has a nice voice and performs it well but it doesn’t appeal to my taste.
I have no clue on how the song will score in Athens. If the performance is good it can be a surprise, but coming right after the another country song from Germany it wont have that “vintage song felling” that Jakob’s got last year.
The video is very Cinderela like, Sidsel is a bar cleaner, in love with the bar owner and that dreams of being a singer. Very soap-opera like. Its ok, but an 50’s like video would have been much funnier.
Overall I don’t love it and I don’t hate it either But its not a song I want to hear many times after the ESC 2006 is over.
Points for the song: 6 (form 1-8, 10 and 12)
And for the video: 3 (from 1 to 5)

Belgium calling… This song also gives me the creeps.
Its also very oldfashioned, very 50’s 60’s style. More 50’s perhaps.
That awful instrumental part, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, it makes me nervous.
It's probably gonna score because it stands out, but for I give it 5 points in 20.

Welcoming this song to the contest is Jakob Sveistrup with Talking to you.